Connecting with the moon phases is a beautiful way to instil a connection with the Self and the cycles of nature around us. Each one of her phases has a different energy within each cycle. Setting specific intentions with each phase of the moon creates an opportunity to live intentionally, allowing you to bring meaningful and profound transformation into your life. Change is not something to fear, change is the one consistent thing in life. Just as the moon grows so do we, just as she wanes into the darkness to reemerge, so do we.
The New Moon marks the beginning of the lunar cycle, a time each month we are gifted to begin anew and set our intentions for the seeds we wish to see bloom in the coming weeks. The New Moon, also referred to as the Dark Moon, is a phase where we can contemplate our accomplishments from the previous month and begin to refine them - Think of this time as a blank canvas to recreate.
On Wednesday the 6th of October at 9:05 pm AEST, we welcome the New Moon at 13º in Libra, a cardinal air sign ruled by Venus, marking the beginning of Libra Season.
Libra season is a time of initiation and partnership. Although most commonly we know her for her symbolic scales of justice, she exudes balance. She has incredible forces that help us in all areas of relationships and how we relate to ourselves and one another. She breathes balance, reawakenings, beauty, organisation and luxury into all areas of our lives. You may feel a call to the finer things in life this month and indulge a little more through the sense, this is because Venus is the higher octave of Libra, Venus is her ruling planet. Venus is all about the art of luxuriating through the senses and doing the things that bring us pleasure.
Being ruled by Venus, Libra is the rising sun, gifting love and connection to us all. She is the Yin and the Yang, an air sign that connects and gives life. The way that air works is to connect, bring life and movement, and bring harmony to relationships. Libra brings us balance and justice for the good of all beings.
Altar and ritual suggestions connecting with Libra
An altar is a reference point that we can come to, where we can practice the art of remembering. It is a point in our homes and the spaces around us that express what we love, desire and honour at that given moment in time.
- Colours: Pink, Ivory and Light Blue
- Flowers: Roses, peonies and daisies
- Feelings: Love, beauty, grace and balance
- Taste: Chocolate, Rose, Honey and Vanilla
- Herbs: Mugwort, Damask Rose, Marshamllow Root
- Tarot card: Justice and The Suit of Swords
Ritual for Libra
- Sit in a quiet space that feels sacred to you.
- Lighting a candle and call yourself present to anchor and ground yourself.
- Burning sacred smoke and herbs expresses the transformative powers Libra has as an air sign. See the sacred smoke as the representation of the soul, of spirit.
- Begin to write a love letter to yourself and allow it to summon reverence within.
- Place this love letter on your altar for the duration of Libra season (until the next new moon) and read it to yourself each day.
- In what areas of my life can I gift myself more love and beauty?
- How do I honour the connection to my own heart and experiences?
- What do beauty and grace mean to me?
We ask ourselves these prompts so that we can become crystal clear on how the direction we wish to take on our next trajectory. Now is the time to get the foundations of ourself concreted and stable. Now is the time to find balance with our core essence, your authentic self; aside from the polarised realities. We use this new moon to shake loose from our lives what keeps us out of balance. We can allow the truth to change us. We can remember that when life gets rocky, it is essential to lower an anchor deep down within us, finding the stillness that no one or thing can take.
New Moon blessings,
Brooke, founder @theritual___ (www.the-ritual.com.au)