Looking for an impressive fruit dessert (that’s gluten free, refined sugar free and vegan!) but don't want to bother making pie? Try this!
🍓 2.5 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
🍓 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
🍓 1/2 tsp salt
🍓 1 cup (250g) vegan block style butter (or solid coconut oil)
🍓 3/4-1 cup ice cold water
Chocolate strawberry filling
🍓 1/2 cup almond meal
🍓 2 punnets strawberries, hulled and cut in half
🍓 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
🍓 2 tsp lemon zest
🍓 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
🍓 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
🍓 1 block Loco Love Nirvana block, roughly chopped
1. MAKE DOUGH. Add flour, coconut sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter, pulse until small crumbs form then, with the food processor running, stream in the water and process only until a large ball forms. If you only need ¾ cup water then stop there-only add more if the pastry is still too dry to form a ball. From when you add the butter to when the balls come together it should take only 15 seconds or so.
2. Scrape out dough (a rubber spatula is recommended) and quickly form into a small disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap (or compostable wrap) and set in the fridge for 1+ hours.
3. MAKE FILLING. Meanwhile, combine all of the filling ingredients, except the almond meal, in a bowl. Set aside.
4. CREATE GALETTE. After 1 hour, remove dough from the fridge. Place dough between 2 sheets of baking paper, and carefully roll out to a oval. You want the dough to be around 5-7mm in thickness. Remove the top sheet of baking paper, and place the dough (still on the bottom piece of baking paper) on a baking tray.
5. Spread almond meal over the dough, leaving a 5cm boarder (this will be rolled over in to a crust) and then pour the berry filling mix on top, again leave a 5 cm gap around the boarder.
6. Now, fold up the sides of the galette. The dough will be a little bit sticky, so use a small, sharp knife to peel the edge away from the baking paper. After you have folded over the first edge, rotate the galette, do another fold, and continue until you’re back to where you started. Brush the top crust in extra melted butter, olive oil or milk them sprinkle with coconut sugar (optional).
7. Now, place the galette (on the baking tray) back in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes (don’t skip this step) then preheat the oven.
8. Bake for 40-45 mins or until the crust is golden. Enjoy warm or cool!